Glennon Doyle has overcome significant obstacles, including growing up with mental health concerns and battling alcoholism and drug addiction. Are you passing through the same ordeal? Then these quotes are all you need to pull through.
In Untamed by Glennon Doyle, a divorce is navigated, a new blended family is formed with Abby Wambach, and it is learned that whether a family is fractured or whole depends less on the structure of the family than on each individual member’s capacity to contribute her whole self.
The message of this self-help book, which is also a manifesto for living your best life, is to let go of any fictitious barriers that are keeping you from pursuing your goals.
It also teaches that one should be conscious of the potential effects one’s actions may have on other people. Women, in particular, are encouraged to do this.
This Glennon Doyle quotes below will encourage you to keep going, despite what life throws at you.
50 Empowering Quotes from Glennon Doyle’s Untamed
1. Freedom is not being for or against an ideal, but creating your own existence from scratch.
2. Be careful with the stories you tell about yourself
3. The journey is learning that pain, like love, is simply something to surrender to. It’s a holy space we can enter with people only if we promise not to tidy up.
4. It’s nearly impossible to blaze one’s own path while following in someone else’s footsteps.
5. The opposite of sensitive is not brave. It’s not brave to refuse to pay attention, to refuse to notice, to refuse to feel and know and imagine. The opposite of sensitive is insensitive, and that’s no badge of honor.
6. When her pain is fresh and new, let her have it. Don’t try to take it away. Forgive yourself for not having that power. Grief and pain are like joy and peace; they are not things we should try to snatch from each other. They’re sacred. They are part of each person’s journey. All we can do is offer relief from this fear: I am all alone. That’s the one fear you can alleviate.
7. When a woman finally learns that pleasing the world is impossible, she becomes free to learn how to please herself.
8. You are here to decide if your life, relationships, and world are true and beautiful enough for you. And if they are not and you dare to admit they are not, you must decide if you have the guts, the right—perhaps even the duty—to burn to the ground that which is not true and beautiful enough and get started building what is.
10. These things will be hard, but you can do hard things.
11. Addiction is a hiding place where sensitive people go. I was a super-sensitive kid—addiction is where I went to hide from risk, to hide from pain, to hide from love.”
12. My children do not need me to save them. My children need to watch me save myself.
13. What I thought would kill me didn’t. Every time I said to myself: I can’t take this anymore—I was wrong. The truth was that I could and did take it all—and I kept surviving. Surviving, again and again, made me less afraid of myself, of other people, of life.
14. The only meaningful thing we can offer one another is love. Not advice, not questions about our choices, not suggestions for the future, just love.
15. A woman who is full of herself knows and trusts herself enough to say and do what must be done. She lets the rest burn.
16. I understand now that I’m not a mess, but a deeply feeling person in a messy world. I explain that now when someone asks me why I cry so often: for the same reason I laugh so often—because I’m paying attention.
17. Every girl must decide whether to be true to herself or true to the world. Every girl must decide whether to settle for adoration or fight for love.
18. Love is the opposite of control. Love demands trust.
19. Grief shatters. If you let yourself shatter and then you put yourself back together, piece by piece, you wake up one day and realize that you have been completely reassembled.
20. Nobody is more ready to show up than anybody else. It’s just that some people show up before they’re perfect and before they’re ready.
21. Our judgment is self-protection; it’s a cage we put around ourselves. We hope it will keep danger out, but it only keeps tenderness and empathy from coming in.
22. Because once we feel, know, and dare to imagine more for ourselves, we cannot unfeel, unknow, or unimagine. There is no going back.
23. Life is a quest to find an unfindable thing. We are put here needing something that doesn’t exist here.
24. This is the most revolutionary thing a woman can do: the next precise thing, one thing at a time, without asking permission or offering explanation.
25. Privilege is being born on third base. Ignorant privilege is thinking you’re there because you hit a triple. Malicious privilege is complaining that those starving outside the ballpark aren’t waiting patiently enough.
26. Our culture was built upon and benefits from the control of women. The way power justifies controlling a group is by conditioning the masses to believe that the group cannot be trusted.
So the campaign to convince us to mistrust women begins early and comes from everywhere.
27. Hard work is important. So are play and nonproductivity. My worth is tied not to my productivity but to my existence. I am worthy of rest.
28. The epitome of womanhood is to lose one’s self completely. That is the end goal of every patriarchal culture. Because a very effective way to control women is to convince women to control themselves.
29. Since brokenness is the way of folks, the only way to live peacefully is to forgive everyone constantly, including yourself.
30. Self-love means that I have a relationship with myself built on trust and loyalty. I trust myself to have my own back, so my allegiance is to the voice within.
31. It’s not the cruel criticism from folks who hate us that scares us away from our Knowing; it’s the quiet concern of those who love us.
32. Blessed are those brave enough to make things awkward, for they wake us up and move us forward.
34. If no pain, then no love. If no darkness, no light. If no risk, then no reward. It’s all or nothing. In this damn world, it’s all or nothing.
35. We have to get back into our own bodies and figure out what the hell we want to do. And then the next step is doing it without explaining ourselves.
36. People will like me or not, but being liked is not my One Thing; integrity is I’m willing to lose anything that requires me to hide any part of myself.
37. So I have stopped asking people for directions to places they’ve never been. There is no map. We are all pioneers.
38. If our goal is to be tolerant of people who are different than we are, then we really are aiming quite low. Traffic jams are to be tolerated. People are to be celebrated.
39. Maybe the yes comes before the readiness. Maybe you say yes and then you become equipped to handle whatever is about to happen.
40. The beauty industry convinces us that our thighs, frizz, skin, fingernails, lips, eyelashes, leg hair, and wrinkles are repulsive and must be covered and manipulated, so we learn to not trust the bodies we live in.
- 25 Empowering Wonder Woman Quotes
- The Best Pride and Prejudice Quotes
- 70+ Unforgettable Kurt Vonnegut Quotes
- 25 Literary Quotes that Celebrate Friendship
- Anne of Green Gables Quotes
- Best Miss Frizzle Quotes From the Magic School Bus
41. That’s how you can tell that you’re filling yourself with the wrong things. You use a lot of energy, and in the end, you feel emptier and less comfortable than ever.
42. There is no one way to live, love, raise children, arrange a family, run a school, a community, a nation. The norms were created by somebody, and each of us is somebody. We can make our own normal.
43. Every life is an unprecedented experiment. This life is mine alone.
44. The thing that gets me thinking and questioning most deeply is a leader who warns me not to think or question.
45. Reading is my inhale and writing is my exhale.
46. What if in skipping the pain, I was missing my lessons?
47. We weren’t born distrusting and fearing ourselves. That was part of our taming. We were taught to believe that who we are in our natural state is bad and dangerous.
48. The only thing that was ever wrong with me was my belief that there was something wrong with me.
49. The braver I am, the luckier I get.
50. All the devil has to do to win is convince you he’s God
Life as a journey is quite difficult and exhausting, especially for most women.
These Glennon quotes will spur you up and get you moving no matter how rough the path to success is.
Do you have a favorite quote? Let us know in the comment box below!