This extensive list of book puns is sure to make you laugh, whether you’re a big fan of books or puns in general. You’ll want to read these stupid puns again and over again since they are both amusing and corny.
Book puns are a fun way to demonstrate how much you enjoy writing, reading, and rolling your eyes at corny one-liners. Here are a few book puns and jokes that will make you laugh out loud if you’re ready to treat your book collection to some lighthearted literary humor.
Book puns aren’t just funny or make you roll your eyes. They’re fantastic for libraries, educators, and other book lovers looking for smart, engaging methods to promote reading and books. Because readers love them so much, book puns frequently appear on humorous t-shirts, tote bags, and mugs.
Below are over 70 fantastic—and occasionally simply awful—book puns. These parodies cover a variety of topics, including classic literature, the reading experience, and library humor.
Book Puns You Won’t be Able to Look Away From
Classic Author & Book Puns
These clever one-line jokes about books are likely to make people laugh, as well as roll their eyes and/or groan. You’ll leave an impression in either case!
1. How did you read that book so quickly? One page at a time.
2. What do you call it when a bookworm daydreams? Writes of fancy.
3. Why don’t bookworms like to leave home? They’re afraid of foreshadowing.
4. What did the bookworm say to the massage therapist? I’m feeling a little past tense.
5. What did you think of the award-winning poem? I didn’t like it. It’s a rhyme against nature.
6. What is a bookworm’s favorite form of exercise? Yoga proses.
7. Why do you enjoy romance novels? I like to book on the bright side.
8. Where do you like to stay on vacation? At a read and breakfast.
9. What did the patron ask the library book? Can I check you out?
10. Are you busy this weekend? I’m fully booked.
11. What does a bookworm eat for breakfast? Synonym rolls.
12. What’s on your bucket list? I hope to go out in a blaze of story.
13. What did the customer say to the book store? I’ve got the brains, you’ve got the books. Let me spend lots of money.
14. Do you like the book you’re reading? It has prose and cons.
15. Need to take a break from reading? Go out and dance the write away.
Do you comma a lot here? Here are some humorous library puns for you!
1. These books blue us away (for a display of blue book covers).
2. Libraries make shhh happen.
3. Are you paying attention? You seem a bit checked out.
4. What does one library book say to the other? “Can I take you out?”
5. ISBN thinking about you.
6. I will Dewey decimate you.
7. She blinded me with library science.
8. Book it to the library.
9. What building has the most stories? The library.
10. Mind if I check you out?
11. You have fine written all over you.
12. Libraries are good for circulation.
13. I wanted to visit the world’s biggest library, but it was overbooked.
Grammar and Writing Puns
You might be a writer. You ought to be able to identify with these ridiculously pedantic writing puns!
1. Synonym rolls: just like grammar used to make.
2. Metaphors be with you.
3. Writers have great climaxes.
4. Seven days without a pun makes one weak.
5. The comma sutra makes grammar sexy.
6. Practice safe text: use commas.
7. What’s the difference between cats and a comma? Cats have claws at the end of their paws and commas are a pause at the end of a clause.
8. Bad spelling makes me [sic].
9. What dinosaur knows a lot of synonyms? A thesaurus.
10. Past, present, and future walked into a bar. It was tense.
11. Why did the run-on sentence think it was pregnant? Its period was late.
12. What did the period say to the sentence? We better stop now!
13. Why do words and punctuation end up in court? To be sentenced.
14. Do you comma here often?
15. I’m so adjective, I verb noun.
16. Broken pencils are pointless.
Pretty almost everyone will smile when they read these book puns, especially those who like to read.
1. Why don’t readers have extra time? They’re booked.
2. Leave poetry to the prose.
3. Treat yo shelves.
4. Reading is a novel idea.
5. Readers do it by the book.
6. Bookworms take selfies.
7. Take a page from the book and leaf.
8. Books are my kind of texts.
9. This book of spells was useless. The author forgot to run spell check.
10. I have no shelf control.
11. The book about Mount Everest had quite a cliffhanger.
12. These book puns have tickled your spine.
13. What’s the longest word in the dictionary? Smiles because there’s a mile between each s.
14. I’m reading a book about anti-gravity and it’s impossible to put down.
15. Feeling my shelf.
16. Have you read the book about hands? It’s a real page-turner.
17. Every book has some flaws and mistakes, no matter how good the editor is. It’s bound to happen.
18. Stay true to your shelf.
19. Writers are cold because they’re surrounded by drafts.
20. I read dead people.
21. Prose before hoes.
22. When I think about books, I touch my shelf.
23. Readers do it between the covers (or alternately, readers do it between the sheets).
24. My weekend is fully booked.
25. Check your shelf before you wreck your shelf.
26. Better read than dead.
27. The high school music teacher was controversial for having his students read band books.
28. I like big books and I cannot lie.
29. This weekend is going to be LITerary.
30. Where my prose at?
31. A book fell on my head. I can only blame my shelf.
32. Talk wordy to me.
33. What’s the longest word in the dictionary? Smiles because there’s a mile between each s.
34. I’m reading a book about anti-gravity and it’s impossible to put down.
However, don’t keep your comedy to yourself. Use these book puns in your Instagram and other social media captions.