Everyone’s childhood was surely influenced by Calvin and Hobbes.
You’ll reflect on the value of life and everything you experience as a result of their funny lines.
Calvin and Hobbes by Bill Watterson ran from 1985 to 1995. His comic strip was able to inject cosmic-scale pondering (and wandering) into a timeless world of sluggish Sundays, snow goons, and irritated babysitters.
You can learn a few life lessons from the Calvin and Hobbes quotations we’ve compiled and use them to better yourself.
If you enjoy this comic, you should read this collection.
By reading this collection, you can improve your outlook on life and perspective.
Calvin and Hobbes Quotes
Famous Calvin and Hobbes Quotes
1. “So the secret to good self-esteem is to lower your expectations to the point where they’re already met?”
2. “People always make the mistake of thinking art is created for them. But really, art is a private language for sophisticates to congratulate themselves on their superiority to the rest of the world. As my artist’s statement explains, my work is utterly incomprehensible and is therefore full of deep significance.”
Calvin Quotes on Reality and World’s Problems
3. “Reality continues to ruin my life.”
4. “Isn’t it strange that evolution would give us a sense of humor? When you think about it, it’s weird that we have a physiological response to absurdity. We laugh at nonsense. We like it. We think it’s funny. Don’t you think it’s odd that we appreciate absurdity? Why would we develop that way? How does it benefit us?”
Wise Quotes from Hobbes and Calvin
5. “You’re lucky that girls don’t have to put up with this nonsense. If a girl doesn’t want to play sports, that’s fine! But if a guy doesn’t spend his afternoons chasing some stupid ball, he’s called a wimp! You girls have it easy!”
6. “If good things lasted forever, would we appreciate how precious they are?”
Calvin and Hobbes Quotes on the Meaning of Life
7. “A day can really slip by when you’re deliberately avoiding what you’re supposed to do.”
8. “Why waste time learning when ignorance is instantaneous?”
Calvin and Hobbes Quotes That Will Make You Think
9. “I’ve been reading about the beginning of the universe. They call it ‘The Big Bang.’ Isn’t it weird how scientists can imagine all the matter of the universe exploding out of a dot smaller than the head of a pin, but they can’t come up with a more evocative name for it than ‘The Big Bang?’ That’s the whole problem with science. You’ve got a bunch of empiricists trying to describe things of unimaginable wonder.”
10. “I don’t believe in ethics anymore. As far as I’m concerned, the ends justify the means. Get what you can while the getting’s good, that’s what I say! Might make right! The winners write the history books! It’s a dog-eat-dog world, so I’ll do whatever I have to, and let others argue about whether it’s ‘right’ or not.”
Calvin and Hobbes Quotes on Reality
11. “Somewhere in communist Russia, I’ll bet there’s a little boy who has never known anything but censorship and oppression. But maybe he’s heard about America, and he dreams of living in this land of freedom and opportunity! Someday, I’d like to meet that little boy and tell him the awful truth about this place!”
12. “Don’t like us? What’s not to like? There’s nothing wrong with humans! Hey, you Martian! Come on out! We’re not bad! We just came here because people polluted our own planet so much that―uh―what I mean is―um―so what are you saying? That our reputation preceded us?”
Calvin and Hobbes Quotes That Will Make You Laugh
13. “That’s the problem I’m trying to fix, you moron! I can’t turn the water off because the faucet leaks! Sheesh, where were you when they were passing out brains?”
14. Caller: “May I speak with your father, please?”
Calvin: “Heck, you don’t need my permission! Be my guest! What a weirdo.”
Powerful Calvin and Hobbes Quotes
15. “Our lives are filled with machines designed to reduce work and increase leisure. We have more leisure than any man has ever had. And what do we do with this leisure? Educate ourselves? Take up new interests? Explore? Invent? Create?”
– Calvin’s Dad
16. “History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable, and that life has order and direction.”
Here are other quotes from Calvin and Hobbes
“We’re so busy watching out for what’s just ahead of us that we don’t take time to enjoy where we are.”
Everybody seeks happiness! Not me, though! That’s the difference between me and the rest of the world. Happiness isn’t good enough for me! I demand euphoria!”
“Life is like topography, Hobbes. There are summits of happiness and success, flat stretches of boring routine, and valleys of frustration and failure.”
The following quotes from Calvin and Hobbes have a deeper meaning attached to them. It makes one wonder about the depth of wisdom Bill Watterson has.